Thursday, March 4, 2010



There are a lot of things I love about this love lettering project, but I’d have to say, my very favourite thing has been the number of first kiss stories people have started sharing with me. Not quite strangers, but definitely in the periphery of my social circle.

And almost everyone has framed it with ‘Oh, you’ve probably heard a million of these. You’re probably sick of them...’

But I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of hearing about people’s first kisses. They’re like finding pictures of folks you love at 13, all braces and gangly and wearing the most bizarre clothes (hellloooooo acid wash collared shirt with turquoise glasses!) – so endearingly awkward. I love reconciling the two – confident, fabulous friend with awkward basement corner couch kiss. LOVE!

CBC Radio's DNTO did a follow-up show on first kisses and breakups on Your DNTO and people called in with their first kiss stories. Swoon! I was in heaven.

Being told first kiss stories is like finding lucky pennies, and I can’t pass a penny on the sidewalk without picking it up. (I’ve even been known to stop my bike if I catch a glimpse of coppery luck!)


ps: the photo is from Valentine's Day in Washington, D.C. Cupid-brunching-photographer: Michael A. Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment